Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Rec'd email from soldier!

I just received an email from the soldier I sent my care package to last week and I have to say it was so touching to receive a reply! I had never expected a reply at all - they are busy protecting our country, you know?

Here's what he wrote:

I wanted to drop you a note to say thank you for the thoughtful gift you sent to me and my Soldiers. They were very excited when I shared what you sent us. It means the world to us to have supporters like back home. Thank you so much.

Here is a little about us. We are the 82d Airborne's only Chinook helicopter unit. We just got back from a deployment a little more than a year ago and were are already back on the battle field. When I joined the Military 15 years ago I always new there was a possibility of going off to war, but I never expected it to last this long. I'm married and have a wonderful family that I miss very much. I feel like I am missing out on so much with them. i just learned that my youngest son, Roman just took his first steps and it was sad for me because I wasn't there to see them. We are just at the beginning of this deployment and we have a long 11 more months to go. I would love to try to send you some pictures of my soldiers doing their job, they are the best around, but that might be difficult because we work in a photo restricted area. I will do my best to try and get some pictures of them off the airfield in their free time.

Our living conditions are getting better. We just moved out of tents into real buildings. The rooms are very small and we have 42 soldiers living a building that was designed to house 21, but we are doing our best to keep our heads up. It's real easy to lose your cool when you have people living right on top of you. My bunk mate and I share an area that is about 6 ft by 5 ft. I'm just glad that we get along.

Thank you again for your support and feel free to keep those care packages coming.

If that doesn't inspire you to send out a care package to the troops who are putting their lives on the line to protect our country, I don't know what will!

1 comment:

  1. Wow... What you are doing is absolutely amazing. I'm really glad I found your blog, and will gladly follow it. Keep updating! I want to hear more, and will add you to my blogroll on my blog.

    God Bless You!!!

    ReplyDelete